Antandros Antique City
- N39 34.262 E26 47.146 YÜKSEKLİK:1m
The first explorations to locate Antandros antique city start in 1842 when Heinrich Kiepert discovers the Antandros inscription on the wall of Avcılar Village Mosque. Kiepert,has climbed Kaletaşı Hill which he has determined to beAntandros and has found a good quantity of marble and ceramic pieces, enough to prove a city settlement there. Systemic excavations in Antandros have started in 2001 at the light of the data found during the surface explorations in 2000. The excavations have started under the joint work of Balıkesir Museum and a team led by Prof. Dr. GürcanPolat, a member of Classical Archeology of Archeology Department, Faculty of Literature in Aegean University; and now continue around the Necropolis and walled areas, and the Roman Villa qualified as a Hillside House.